I live in a fairly large house just me my dog and 2 cats. You would think that keeping it clean would be a piece of cake. I mean I’m a very neat person! Well, you would be so wrong! I feel like my house is always so dirty! There is dog hair on the floor, cat fur balls floating through the air, my bedding is as furry as my pets, and trying to find a seat (good luck! hope you brought a lint roller!)
I’m officially fed up with all the fur in my home! But now I’m one step ahead of the shed! I have taken all of the tips and tricks of the internet, my wise Mom, and all my opinionated friends and put them together for you!
1. Keep a lint roller handy. When my house has been recently vacuumed and the animal hair is pretty well managed I use a lint roller for touch ups. For instance, when your parents show up unannounced, you run the lint roller over a few seats and they are animal hair free!
2. Wrap tape around your hand (sticky side out) when your in a pinch and don’t have a lint roller. I have done this at work and home especially when my clothing needs a quick touch up!
3. Window squeegees are super cheap and do a fantastic job getting fur off furniture and carpets. I keep one under my sink and use it to clean the sides of my furniture that are hard to vacuum.
4. Fabric softener sheets are your best friend. When I’m all done brushing my animals they always have little bits of lose hair stuck in their coats. It drives me nuts because as soon as they walk away they are leaving a trail of hair all over my fresh cleaned floor. So, now when I am all done brushing them I run a fabric softener sheet over them and it pulls most of those lose hair free!
5. Sweeping and vacuuming on a regular basis is of course a must! I do a quick sweeping almost everyday and I vacuum 2-3 times a week. I find that if I just keep up its never that bad!
6. Bathe your stinky doggies! I brush my dog at least once a week but I also give her a bath about twice a month. I use a deshedding shampoo on her and it works like magic! You can see in the pictures below that even after brushing her the shampoo and bath removed a ton more fur which means less for me to vacuum around the house!
7. Brush your pet at least once a week! This is seriously the most important tip. If you keep your pet brushed they will shed less and have a healthier coat. Brushing their fun spreads natural oils from their skin and can help decrease the amount of hair your pet loses.
For me the key has been to do all of these things on a regular basis. That keeps the pet hair from becoming overwhelming. I find that sweeping my house takes me about 20 minutes if I do it often but if I slack off for a week it takes me almost an hour to contain all the hair! So for me skipping is not an option!
What do you do to keep pet hair under control in your home?
You can never have too many Tips for Controlling Pet Hair